Hi, I am going to talk about about crested geckos. Crested geckos are usually very mellow, and they make wonderful pets.
What they eat: In captivity, crested geckos eat a food made specially for them that you can buy at your local pet store. They also eat live crickets, but don’t fret! You don’t have to catch them; you can also buy those at a pet store that sells reptiles. You should never feed baby food to your crested on a regular basis because it’s not a complete diet for them. In the wild crested geckos eat insects and rotting fruit.
How long do they live: in captivity, crested geckos can live approximately 15 years.
Cage setup: You can get a cage setup at pet stores that sell reptiles.
- First, you need a cage. It can be a large fish tank that is at least 5 gallons.
- Second, you need two heat lamps; one for day and one for night.
- Third, you need a spray bottle to keep your gecko’s humidity up (see below).
- Fourth, you need food. You can get that at a pet store that sells reptiles (see above).
- Finally, you need decor. This includes: fake moss, fake rocks, artificial foliage, food and water dishes, etc. When you have all these, you put the decor in the cage (you may arrange it however you would like), put the lid on the cage, and the heat lamps on.
When they sleep: Unlike some other geckos, cresties are nocturnal, which means they sleep in the day. But, you can still play with them at any time!
If they lose their tails do they grow back?: Crested geckos lose their tails either from stress, getting caught, or being pulled, etc. Sadly, our little friend’s tails do not grow back once they lose them, but they’re still really cute tail or no tail!
What should their humidity be at: Their humidity should remain around 50%. You can buy a spray bottle at a dollar store and spray their habitat frequently to ensure they have a moist environment.
Thank you for reading my post please leave your questions and comments below.